TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My 2 cents are worth much but...
People Seeking Info

Subject My 2 cents are worth much but...

Posted by Frldy_Z on December 02, 2014 at 8:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 450 times.

In Reply To follow-up to structural question - i went for it posted by JaffaUK on December 02, 2014 at 04:01 PM

Message I have personally cut up several honda frames with a plasma cutter to be sent off for scrap. Although, the honda uses 2 ply 16 gauge sheet metal, and in structural support uses 3 ply. I have never cut up a 300zx for scrap as I don't have it in me to do that. I think the 300zx uses 14 gauge or 12 gauge. I forgot. But the basic principle still applies. Correct me if I am wrong. First off, where the rear roll cage is welded to the frame is only as strong as the metal that its welded to or the welds themselves. Second off, I see you have 4 joining supports to one pipe welded to the unibody. There is suppose to be a plate that it is welded to the unibody, as it would seem for what your have done with the rear suspension. Need to study pics more. This plate is suppose to pass regulation like everything else along with the welds. And speaking of welds, the plate that the rear suspension is welded to doesn't look right. The welds at first glance seem to glob on top of the metal and doesn't have adequate "bite" to them. Looks like mig welds. Could be not enough juice, wire speed set to fast or grounding issues. The plate that the roll cage is welded to is suppose to be 6"x6" to pass regulation but don't quote me on this. What you have won't pass most CCNA or other racing regulations. What it looks like in that pic is that if something were to happen, the main rear supporting pipe of the roll cage will puncture through or rip off the unibody depending on the forces at hand. I just don't want to see someone feel confident in a roll cage that is not done properly as your life is dependent on it. As far as the rear suspension goes I need to study the pic some more to give my "2cents!" Beyond all that I think that what you are doing is going beyond most people's intention and I like that. You are trying to take your Z to the next level and I commend you for that.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.